SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

public IPv6 to IPv4 proxy
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 24 August 2009 13:39:49
Hi, I'd like to set up (or hire) a service to make my websites (and those of clients) accessible over IPv6, publicly. This would be a very simple way of IPv6 enabling websites. From the DNS point of view it would look like www.mywebsite.com AAAA record points to the proxy (could be anywhere) which in turn proxies to ... www.mywebsite.com A record points to the native server. Any ideas? http://linux.yyz.us/ipv6/proxy.html describes how to do this with apache, and Sixxs has a similar service. However, in both these solutions, the v6 website has a FQDN differing from the v4 FQDN. Who has done this, or knows of a service that does? Regards. Peter
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 24 August 2009 14:05:23
I would never go for an off-site proxy which causes your website to become available over IPv6 while your real site is IPv4 only. There are too many places where such a setup can go wrong and too many places where that can cause your site to become unreliable. If you want to IPv6 enable your website do it on the same host or at least in the same datacenter/ISP that the original site is located. In other words: ask your ISP to start doing IPv6. The alternative is to get a tunnel to your host and setup an IPv6 webserver, which thus basically IPv6 enables your site. Remember that when you proxy you lose all the source addresses of the users. The only advantage there is that you don't have to check that your backend (if any) supports/stores IPv6 and can only cope with IPv4.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 25 August 2009 12:29:21
Sure, i agree that a lot can go wrong, and your technical suggestions are relevant in order to minimize risks. The reason why we want to do this is to break the gridlock of not enough applications, and thus not a lot of usage. It is also an easy way of showing what ipv6 traffic already exists, and it does not have a lot of impact on the existing server. BTW the proxy can log the source adresses of users. I have already asked my hosting party for IPv6 connectivity. Several times. Still waiting. I will try tunneling out of a VPS, but that does not look too obvious at first glance from a CentOS/Plesk machine.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker